September 2019 to Present
CalMac Ferries Ltd embarked on a programme to introduce a new Ferry Ticketing & Reservations system intended to replace a system that had been in place for almost 30 years and was very much engrained within the culture of their organisation.
I provided ICT business solutions and change management support from the early stages of the programme, initially driving the requirements capture activities of the procurement exercise and assisting the organisation through the evolution of an operating model and developing all the business processes and practices to lift the organisation into a modern customer experience.
The activities involved stakeholder management at all levels of the organisation from Customer Service Advisor through to Managing Director and critical external stakeholders including Members of Scottish Parliament and community representatives.
I have performed a vital role in both strategic development, planning and delivery of this large, high-profile transformational programme.
- OJEU Procurement
- Development of Business Requirements, identifying user stories and collaborating with business and technical colleagues to prioritise, size and refine the stories to ensure accuracy and suitability for procurement activity and use throughout the progression of the programme
- Assisting with strategic planning for the procurement of a Ferry & Ticketing solution via OJEU framework
- Production of detailed procurement requirements specification, including procurement scoring framework
- Supporting the OJEU Procurement Evaluation and Feedback exercise
- Assisting with supplementary procurement activities relating to services for Learning Management Systems, Data Services and Learning Content Partners via Digital Marketplace frameworks
- Target Operating Model
- Leading the development of a new Operating Model using the Operating Model Canvas approach (POLISM), providing a clear and concise comparative overview of the as-is versus to-be operating model.
- Scope Identification & Management Framework
- Introduced the importance of clearly identifying programme scope, producing a scope management framework for use throughout the programme lifecycle
- Business Process & Procedure Development
- Led a team of 5 Business Change Managers, 2 Business Analysts and several other Subject Matter Experts on the development of a comprehensive business process framework.
- Directed the evolution of business process maps into a detailed suite of step-by-step business procedure documents
- Technical & Non-Functional Requirements
- Supported the System Implementation workstream with capturing and documenting technical user stories and specifications for development of software integrations specification and software change requirements.
- Development of a Data Flow Model, comparing as-is with to-be data flow models to assist the System Implementation workstream in identifying requirements for integration and data warehouse models.
- Capacity Management Framework
- Led the development of a Capacity Management Framework that addresses a gap in CalMac’s business needs to manage real-world vessel capacity challenges within the ferry reservation system.
- Online Turn Up & Go Ticketing
- I developed a technique utilising previously unidentified potential within the procured solution to offer a method for purchasing advanced tickets on routes that were classed as “Non-Bookable”. This allowed a solution that resolved challenges with how customers could purchase such tickets in a system intended for reservations only and meet several Digital Channel shift objectives of the programme that otherwise were unachievable.
- Procurement Requirements Strategy & Scoring Framework
- Target Operating Model (via Operating Model Canvas framework)
- Business Process Modelling & Procedures
- Stakeholder management of various personnel from end-user through to Directors and Managing Director
- Project Management Support
- Business requirements, Functional Requirements, Non-Functional Requirements, Functional Specification, and Technical Solution. Including the capture and documentation presented via various recognised models including User Stories, Business Process Modelling Notation (BPMN), Flow Charts and Customer Journey Maps.
- Prince 2 (Business Change Workstream)
- Agile (System Implementation Workstream)
- BPMN (Business Process Modelling Notation)
Software & Technologies
- Microsoft: Teams, Office, Visio, Project, Sharepoint
- Specialist: E-Dea eBooking